Thoughts about body image.
I really hate how insecurity about our appearance is something that affects pretty much everyone I know - and the majority of people I know are really, really pretty. Like, they’re people I would pass walking down the street and think damn. And I mean that when I say it.
But thing is, I know it doesn’t help when I say that. I know this because, when I’m having one of those days in which I’m drowning in insecurities about what I see in the mirror, it doesn’t help if everyone else on earth reminds me how beautiful they find me. It’s not that I assume they’re lying - I don’t, because, like I said, I’m not lying when I tell other people the same. But it just doesn’t matter. These insecurities are so learned and so ingrained and such a part of me that nothing anyone can say helps me to look past them.
Logically, I can look at my own thought process and see how flawed it is. Like, the things I find attractive in other people - curves that may or may not be in the right places and imperfections and that piece of hair that won’t fall just right - disgust me about myself. That doesn’t make sense -and I can accept that other people might not see them the way I do, but it doesn’t stop me from wanting to look away from the mirror when I’m naked.
And that frustrates me! For myself, yes, but also for all my friends and all the people I love and all the people I don’t know who are doing the same thing when they get dressed in the morning. And we’re told it’s okay! Because we’re women and we’re going to have insecurities like that and we’re going to hate our bodies and really that’s almost how it should be, right? If our appearance isn’t perfect - and I’ve accepted it’s never going to be in our own eyes - then our being disgusted over it is only to be expected. (After else, how else are we going to be motivated to change it?)
God, I hate it I hate it I HATE IT. You guys are really beautiful and I hate that it doesn’t help when I say that.
- lovelymusings16 likes this
- fearbreeze likes this
- sunandsilks likes this
- idreaminsquares said: ::all of the self-image frustration hugs::
- idreaminsquares likes this
- totally-not-a-jotunn likes this
- girlwholovesherwords likes this
- watchermostcharmed likes this
- captainofalltheships likes this
- firstwizardingwar likes this
- sirehren likes this
- dr-erland said: i hate it too. :\ i really hate that women are socialized to talk about how much they hate their bodies. whenever i say i want to refrain from it people look like i grew a second head.
- intelligentheart likes this
- thegoodlannister posted this